Thursday, 12 January 2012

~Thrifty quilt~

I'm a bit slow to get going with creative projects so far in 2012, but I decided to invade my fabric stash (which occupies a whole wardrobe) and make a quilt-cum-eiderdown-cum throw for my bed.  I've used Sanderson fabric, a bit of Cath Kidston, vintage linen and eiderdown fabric, with the general theme of cabbage roses and a pink/green/red colourway. I've tried to be haphazard and random, using pieces of fabric as they are. This is it so far...
I especially love the linen grey rose fabric with the pink background, and the turquoise stripy rose eiderdown fabric.
The idea is to complete it with no cost to me except my time.  The padding will be a single duvet I already have, cut down to size (approx 1.5m x 1m).
I'm just about to go to circuit training for the second time this week to shift the marshmallow muffin-top I've acquired.  I've just been quickly reading my favourite blogs - see Frugal Queen's current struggle with her patchwork quilt - hmmmm  maybe I don't really need to go to Keep Fit, I could just continue wrestling with sizeable pieces of patchwork on the floor, periodically jumping up when I kneel on a pin.

8 comments:

  1. That looks lovely. I really must get back to the lap quilt I started making to go with my patchwork chair covers in the conservatory. I started quilting it but I'm not happy with it - I foresee lots of unpicking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is going to be so pretty - I love your fabrics. I look forward to watching it grow. Maybe you will inspire me to pick up my son's neglected quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really pretty x it makes me want to get mine finished- two years in the making- crikey i am slowww x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colours and patterns are gorgeous together - it's going to be lovely! I wish I could get my brain round quilting.. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks very pretty and would be fantastic to make it without much cost - fabric is just so pricey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fabric stash sounds wonderful Sally and you've picked some great combinations of colour and pattern.
    Hope the tea party goes well next week and I'll keep an eye out for future events.
    Have a nice weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's looking good so far - can't wait to see the finished article!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!! Those colours and patterns are right up my street. Where do you source your fabrics mainly: second-hand / online??? Your stash sounds impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to get in touch or leave a comment - I really appreciate it. Sally x