Wednesday 15 June 2011

~Food for free (well almost)~

Today I bottled my elderflower cordial, which tastes stronger, more hedgerow-ey and better than anything I've bought. Even 9 year old son likes it declaring I could sell it and make a fortune! I've always been curious about how easy and cheap this was to make; and it is... FREE elderflowers, courtesy of the hedgerows yesterday morning, 3 pints of boiling water, 1kg of sugar, 2 sliced lemons, 50g citric acid (local chemist/pharmacy). Apparently citric acid makes it clearer and less prone to cloudiness. Sum total approx £2 for 3 pints of the lovely stuff.  I used this recipe here but omitted the oranges.
Though I have come to a conclusion that the reason elderflower cordial is sold in green bottles is it's a deadringer for (ahem) urine. Sorry, do forgive me, but I couldn't help musing about that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel welcome to get in touch or leave a comment - I really appreciate it. Sally x