Wednesday 31 October 2012

~Half-term catch-up~

It's half-term, which means time off work for me to catch up on stuff at home. 'Stuff' being household jobs like dripping taps, leaking radiators, overgrown garden needing putting to bed and an ironing pile the size of York Minster - you know the score. Plus household appliances going *kaput* all at the same time.

I am now also on a mission to make as many gifts as possible for Christmas, in the name of much-needed thrift, but also in the name of being grateful for all that we do have. We do not need big and unnecessary material spending - just time and a smidgin of love.
So, do you remember this pile of wool bought at a local car boot sale?...

Well, I taught myself to knit in the round using 2 sets of flexible needles in the Summer.  It was fiddly at first, but just remember  to use 1 set at a time - one is your working set and one is your sleeping set.  Detailed and excellent instruction to be found in this book by Loani Pryor...
Once again I am knitting wristwarmers; but these little beauties require no sewing up.

1 working set, 1 sleeping set - half the stitches on each set
A finished pair of these lovely wristwarmers finished
off with some vintage buttons...

The pattern for these wristwarmers is a lovely one found via Julie at Little Cotton Rabbits here
See you soon, keep warm x

8 comments:

  1. Hello Sally

    Neat very neat...shame I can't knit to save my life but I hope to find a nice crochet pattern for wrist warmers. An ideal gift for Christmas. Like yourself and from what I see others are following suit I plan to recycle as much as possible and send out handmade gifts. There is so much more value in giving and receiving a handmade gift...don't you think?

    Love those shiny buttons on the sides!

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are gorgeous Sally and for all I profess to be a knitter I havent mastered the art of knitting in the round yet!
    I know what you mean about catching up with jobs, I have today off because of the strike I took annual leave but I have lots to do that doesnt even include housework and I really need to do some. I just dont have enough hours in the day. I am going to go to my mums house and see if I can do anything for them as she is now unable to do any housework, dad tries but he doesnt do too well.Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What utterly gorgeous wrist warmers! Love those big buttons!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally, I am going to have to try my hand at wrist warmers. Those are so pretty. Thanks so much for sharing :)
    Thank you for stopping in and sharing a little bit of my homespun life. I love having company . . . I only wish we could sit down with a cup of tea and a plate of cookies and have a real chat. I am really enjoying getting to know you better.
    Have a great weekend,
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those wrist Warmers look really great. Might have a go myself.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever of you not only to be able to knit, but to knit"in the round"! The wristwarmers look amazing!
    Its horrible how the boring jobs all creep up on you, and often all at once - glad you made some time for creating too.
    Enjoy the rest of the holiday!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gorgeous wool will make beautiful wrist warmers. Better than anything you can find in the shops! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you've had lots to sort out Sally, things always seem to build up at once. I'm impressed with your knitting and the wrist warmers look great. x

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to get in touch or leave a comment - I really appreciate it. Sally x