Sunday 8 January 2012

~Tin Duck SupperClub~

Firstly I shall apologise that my camera never came out of my bag.  Very remiss of me, but I was too sidetracked by the good company and excellent food. What a rubbish reporter I would make. Easily distracted...


Image from Tin Duck Supper Club website
 We arrived at the Tin Duck Supper Club at 7.45pm having received an email with details of it's York location a few days before.  The other guests were already uncorking their vino (BYO) and we were welcomed in by Rob who made us feel at ease.  Rob & Kirsty's period house is comfortable and cosy with a lovely woodburning stove in the through lounge/dining room.
Starter - Aubergine Parmigiana with homemade Pesto
I loved this...an individual (generous) layered stack of gorgeousness! The aubergine was substantial and meaty, if you know what I mean; the pesto was delicious and dotted around the tower of aubergine and tomato layers.
Main - Beef Shin Ragu with homemade Papardelle
Generous portion of ragu and papardelle - the beef had been slow-cooked until it shredded and fell of the bone.  Well seasoned with a rich peppery aftertaste. Delicious robust pasta. Served with a side plate of warm caramelised onion bread.  We were all stuffed after we'd cleared our plates, so had a break from the food and were joined by the hosts Kirsty and Rob before we had our dessert. Main topic of chat was food and wine and shopping locally. We recommended various York and North Yorkshire foodie places to each other, which was informative.
Dessert - Plum & Almond Tart with Vanilla Mascarpone cream
I'm a pudding-girl and a lover of all things almond; so this was heaven for me.  Rob had made a fantastic job of the pastry - crisp and very short, made with butter.  Very jealous of the pastry! The plums were sweet and tart, and I loved the soft almond layer underneath. 
Overall, great inventive menu, great tasting food and chatty interesting company.  Relaxed homely atmosphere.  Kirsty & Rob have an obvious passion and interest in food, wine and travel and are keen to source local Yorkshire ingredients, including their own allotment produce. Their events usually seat 6 and have a minimal donation of approximately £20. I would highly recommend a trip to this supperclub... The Tin Duck SupperClub website is here with details of menus and how to book. 

1 comment:

  1. I was salivating when I read this post Sally! Not good for my determination to lose a few pounds (suspended when I come to yours of course!). I think I saw a tv programme about this last year sometime, if I remember rightly Jamie Oliver went to a similar event in USA.I would love to go, I will speak to you in a couple of weeks and get the full low down!
    P.S. I am a pudding girl too.X

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to get in touch or leave a comment - I really appreciate it. Sally x