Saturday 4 February 2012

~South Yorkshire food explorations~

Friday night was spent in South Yorkshire - a cheap birthday treat for me - a Groupon deal on a 4* B&B mini-spa break near Rotherham.  Not the romance capital of the world perhaps, but a night away nonetheless! The hotel was fine, not 4 * in my opinion but then I do have 5* taste with a budget that doesn't match.  I just think it's pointless paying to stay in something inferior to what you've got at home.  I like my home comforts and cleanliness, so I'm an over-critical guest, according to my OH.
We feel a bit guilty we didn't have the "spa-break" experience, as it would have involved a walk in minus 4 degrees to a separate building with a pool and gym.  A warmer prospect was to have a drive out nearby to eat lots of nice food instead.
In nearby Wickersley we had lunch at JR's @ The Courtyard see here , a wine bar/bistro which has an outdoor seating area for better weather.   The food was impressive, fresh, locally-sourced and good quality, plus speedy service and a reasonable price we thought.  I had Home-Made Fishcakes with chilli dip and salad for £4.95 and we shared a side order of huge chunky chips for £2. OH had a huge Greek Salad for £5.25. 
JR’S @ The Courtyard
155 Bawtry Road,
Wickersley,
Rotherham,
S66 2BW

Tel: 01709 549122

In the evening we intended to eat at Vasco in Wickersley, a popular restaurant serving modern British food, and where Jamie Oliver chose to eat when he was filming his Ministry of Food series in Rotherham. Unfortunately it was fully booked, so we opted to drive to the picturesque rural village of Wentworth to the George and Dragon (again apparently Jamie ate there).

 Lovely Real Ale pub in picturesque Wentworth
I had a pint of this....




yummy Cornish Black Pearl, brewed in Truro, which looked like grown-up dandelion and burdock and tasted divine. OH had a Crayfish and Prawn salad at £4.95 to start...

...and as it was Fish Friday we both had the Pan-fried Sea Bream with chorizo, black pudding, new potatoes and cherry tomatoes at £12.95.   I loved the roaring fire and the antlers above the hearth...


Delicious food in a traditional real ale pub with a great atmosphere.  What more can you ask for? We'd definitely visit again.
George and Dragon
85 Main Street
Wentworth
S62 7TN
Tel: 01226 742440

7 comments:

  1. Love a bargain special treat! Happy early birthday and I really love your log cabin _ gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty fab to me Sally.Good job you didnt get snowed in though!
    we are off on a groupon 2 nighter soon to The Red lion at Burnsall, cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely birthday treat. Have you tried travel zoo for cheap get away deals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a good time,Happy birthday.Love Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice birthday treat! I love nights/weekends away!!! I know what you mean about expectations and budgets not quite matching up, though!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like food heaven!
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely break away. It's nice to get away sometimes, even if it's just for a night, it gives you something to look forward to and recharges the batteries. The food sounds delicious. I keep hearing about Groupon deals but I've never visited the site, I'll have to do so.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to get in touch or leave a comment - I really appreciate it. Sally x