Friday 9 March 2012

~50s Night Prep and spring cleaning~

I've done a bit of Spring cleaning in the kitchen, rejigging the contents of my wall shelves, and the china cabinet as it had all got a bit busy, as it does at times, when you have a bric-a-brac habit. The china cabinet was a Sue Ryder charity shop find last year at £30.  It's quite plain with a bow front and has 2 keys, and glass shelves in good condition.  I painted the fabric back panel in F&B Hardwick White. It houses my teensy glass animals including Bambi at the front, who a friend bought for me as he looks like Small Dog!


Sentimental cup and saucer trios and old glassware...
I've put utility china and 1950s Midwinter pottery on my shelves, including my Nana's dish/ash tray from the Coronation, as we are taking part in a 1950s themed 'Safari Supper' tomorrow night.  This annual Spring event has 16 local couples donning fancy dress and traipsing round the village for themed canapes, starter, mains and dessert at different houses. It's a cheap meal out as you just host one food course -past themes have included Pop Stars and the 1970s, but being a 50s housewife tomorrow night will suit me down to the ground! I'm doing a main course and have got the Brandy & Babycham, Port & Lemon and Crabbies (and some food of course) all ready. I'll take plenty of photos and hopefully post about it on Sunday if I'm up to it!
Again, apologies for not posting much, still feel like a Hamster on a wheel, though I am enjoying reading all your lovely posts the last couple of days.
Just off to finish sewing a petticoat now...  They were too dear to buy online, £40 or £50- so I bought 3 metres of black organza locally for £6. What a nightmare though!
Have a lovely weekend - hopefully the weather will be good for gardening!

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun!!! Will we get to see some photos?
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a lovely evening! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sally, sounds like you will be having a great time! I will think of you enjoying brandy and babycham (now that takes me back, I once got really drunk on that and havent had any since)etc and lovely delish food while we are refereeing tonight (aka babysitting the grandkids!!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safari dinner sounds like fun!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. love F&B hardwick white, such a lovely shade of white, how did you prepare the cabinet before painting? I have a similar one I want to paint but not too sure how to prepare........hope the hamster wheel slows down a bit next week x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sally, I love your cabinet of pots. You've been busy by the sound of it preparing for the 50's evening and I don't envy you one bit tackling an organza underskirt, such horrible stuff to sew with.
    Hope you had a great time, must be nice living somewhere that's got a bit of community spirit like that.
    Have fun x

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to get in touch or leave a comment - I really appreciate it. Sally x