Friday 3 August 2012

~Simple Pleasures - Old Books~

I know that like me,  a lot of you fellow bloggers also find your books thriftily at car boot sales and charity shops.  I am a member of the library in the village, which is good for reference and craft books, but apart from that on my last visit I felt there were shelves and shelves of chick lit and I came away empty-handed.
One of my Simple Pleasures is searching out old books. I am inspired by old book covers - the nostalgic typography, illustrations and colours are so pleasing- and I also love the smell and feel of old book pages.
This image would stress a mimimalist; but I could live surrounded by books like this...
Image reproduced from Country Living March 2012
My recent finds have been a 1969 Pan Classic of Persuasion by Jane Austen for 20p (you can see where the charity shop staff have written 20p in blue biro near the title - why would you do that?). I've just finished it and I enjoyed it as much as Pride and Prejudice, which is my all-time favourite re-read.

...also this 1974 copy of Daphne du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel. I've read a fair bit of D du M recently, and this is wonderful, I highly recommend it.

We're off to the Yorkshire coast near Filey for a few days away in Chateau H, fingers crossed for decent weather! See you when I get back. Have a lovely weekend x

3 comments:

  1. I could live with books up my stairs and everywhere else lovev them xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fab time Sally and 'see you' when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope that you've had a lovely holiday. I've just finished reading Robert Harris's 'Enigma'. It was a real charity shop bargain - 80p for a hardback! Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to get in touch or leave a comment - I really appreciate it. Sally x