Saturday 13 August 2011

~Some Friday sewing~

When I'm cooking and baking I like a little hand towel as a 'hand-wiper' in the kitchen and being a bit of a clean-freak, I don't agree with drying hands on tea-towels - yuk!  I've taken to upcycling large towels that are past their best into little towels trimmed with pretty home-made bias-binding with a hanging loop. I made some bias binding out of some scraps of lovely Cath Kidston Provence Rose fabric. If  it's for binding straight edges it's OK to cheat and cut your fabric on the grain. Uses less fabric, too.
  • Cut (or rip!) 6cm strips on the grain (using up any scraps)
  • Join the pieces with mitred corners to make one continuous strip. Press seams open.
  • Press in half, then the edges into the centre (it will now measure 3cm)
  • Press in half again (finished binding is 1.5cm)
You can use it to bind towels, for decorative piping on cushions or for bunting tape. I also made the stripy ironing board cover with the leftover fabric from last week's roman blind...
Here's the finished towels, with a little hanging loop...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel welcome to get in touch or leave a comment - I really appreciate it. Sally x